Masters by Coursework and Minor Dissertation
Application for Masters by Coursework and Dissertation (MPhil, MSC)
Application date for degrees by course work and dissertation (MPhil, MSc) is: 30 September 2021
This applies to both local and international applicants
- If you are interested in the MPhil Degree in Environment, Society and Sustainability, please refer to the specific webpage here.
- If you are interested in the Masters in Climate Change and Development, please refer to the specific webpage here.
- If you are interested in the Masters in Southern Urbanism, please refer to the specific webpage here.
Acceptance to a postgraduate degree in the Department of Environmental and Geographical Science Department is highly competitive. To be eligible to apply for a Masters degree in the Department a candidate must have the equivalent to a UCT Honours degree in Environmental and Geographical Science or a related discipline. This is a minimum of a four year degree, with a significant research component in the fourth year. If you are uncertain as to your eligibility, you would be advised to approach the South African Qualifications Association (SAQA) to review your transcripts. A SAQA score of 7 would be considered equivalent to Honours, in which case you would be eligible to apply to our Masters programmes. Please note that eligibility to apply does not constitute acceptance to the programme however.
Applicants should submit:
- A Departmental Application Form (together with all documents listed on the form)
- A UCT online application Form (please read the relevant information if you are a foreign applicant)
- Scanned academic transcripts
- Curriculum vitae
- Research proposal (max 1000 words)
- Two academic references on the departmental reference form.
If you have additional queries about entry into any of our postgraduate courses, please contact the relevant Postgraduate Coordinator,