The doctoral degree in Environmental & Geographical Science is offered by dissertation. Students from both Faculties of Science and Humanities are welcome to apply for this. Students will be expected to conduct research under the supervision of a member of staff within the Department of Environmental and Geographical Science.
Please use the departmental website (http://www.egs.uct.ac.za) to access information about the various research interests and staff in the department. Please ensure that you consider this information carefully so that you determine if your research interests fit with Departmental research strengths. You will also need to propose a supervisor in the application enclosed so you should familiarize yourself with staff members research (through, for instance, the departmental website and staff published research materials) to make this decision.
The requirements for application to the EGS PhD are:
- a masters degree with excellent marks
- A clear one-page motivation of your interest in thesis work.
- A 1000 word statement of your research interest. At PhD level this document should be in the form of a mini-research proposal. This will be used to consider the fit between your interests and our staff and thus is critically important
- A writing sample. (preferably a chapter from your masters thesis or a paper of equivalent academic depth)
- Letters on the departmental reference form from two academic references who are able to speak to your academic abilities and suitability for a PhD programme
- All university-level transcripts (official or certified copies)
Please note that if you are accepted into the PhD programme, you will be required within a specified period to write and present a research proposal. The Department will use this process to assess the viability of your research and its appropriateness for your degree programme. If the requirements for the proposal are not met, the Department will not allow you to continue with the degree.
Read more... information on how to apply to this programme.
If you have additional queries about any of our programmes, please contact the postgraduate coordinator, Dr Pippin Anderson (email@example.com).