Dr Babatunde J. Abiodun
I joined the Department in 2008 and currently serve as Coordinator of Atmospheric Science Programme. At undergraduate level, I teach climate module in Physical Environment (EGS2013F) and convene Atmospheric Science (EGS312S). At postgraduate level, I convene Research Methods for Physical Science (EGS4023F) and Climate Modelling (EGS4024S).
My research interest is in development, evaluation, and application of dynamic atmospheric models. I work with various types of atmospheric models (i.e. boundary layer models, meso-scale models, regional climate models, global climate models, and air pollution models), but focus on a model that has capability for horizontal grid adaptation (called CAM-EULAG). I evaluate atmospheric models and use them to study atmopheric systems (or conditions) that induce extreme events (like droughts, extreme rainfall, heat waves, and air-pollution episodes) in Africa. I also apply these models for predicting seasonal climates, projecting future climates under different emission scenarios, and understanding potential impacts of land-cover changes on regional climates.
- Abiodun BJ, Adegoke J, Abatan AA, Ibe CA, Egbebiyi TS, Engelbrecht F, and Pinto I (2017): Potential Impacts of Climate Change on Extreme Precipitation over Four African Coastal Cities. Climatic Change DOI 10.1007/s10584-017-2001-5.
- Maoyi ML, Abiodun BJ, Prusa JM, and Veitch JJ (2017): Simulating the characteristics of Tropical Cyclones over the South West Indian Ocean using a Stretched-Grid Global Climate Model. Climate Dynamics DOI:10.1007/s00382-017-3706-x
- Odoulami RC, Abiodun BJ, Ajayi AE, Diasso UJ, and Saley, MM (2017): Potential impacts of forestation on heatwaves over West Africa in the future. Ecological Engineering, 102, 546-556.
- Diasso U and Abiodun BJ (2017): Drought modes in West Africa and how well CORDEX RCMs simulate them. Theoretical and Applied Climatology, 128 (1) 223 - 240.
- Abatan AA, Osayomi T, Akande SO, Abiodun BJ, and Gutowski WJ (2017): Trends in mean and extreme temperatures over Ibadan, Southwest Nigeria. Theoretical and Applied Climatology, DOI:10.1007/s00704-017-2049-1
- Abiodun BJ, Abba Omar S, Lennard C, and Jack C (2016): Using regional climate models to simulate extreme rainfall events in the Western Cape, South Africa. International Journal of Climatology, Climatology, 36 (2), 689-705
- Abba Omar S and Abiodun BJ (2016): How well do CORDEX models simulate extreme rainfall events over the East Coast of South Africa? Theoretical and Applied Climatology, 128 (1), 453–464
- Naik M and Abiodun BJ (2016): Potential impacts of forestation on future climate change in Southern Africa. International Journal of Climatology. Doi:10.1002/joc.4652
- Araujo JA, Abiodun BJ, and Crespo O (2016): Impacts of drought on grape yields in Western Cape, South Africa. Theoretical and Applied Climatology, 123 (1-2), 117-130.
- Browne-Klutse N, Abiodun BJ, Hewitson BC, Gutowski WJ, and Tadross M (2016): Evaluation of two GCMs in simulating rainfall inter-annual variability over Southern Africa. Theoretical & Applied climatology. 123 (3-4), 415-436
- Abatan AA, Abiodun BJ, Lawal KA, and Gutowski WJ (2016): Trends in extreme temperature over Nigeria from percentile-based threshold indices. International Journal of Climatology, 36: 2527–2540.
- Oguntunde PG, Abiodun BJ, and Lischeid G (2016): A numerical modelling study of the hydroclimatology of the Niger River Basin, West Africa. Hydrological Sciences Journal, 61(1), 94-106.
- Oguntunde PG, Lischeid G, Abiodun BJ, and Dietrich O (2016): Analysis of long-term dry and wet conditions over Nigeria. International Journal of Climatology DOI:10.1002/joc.4938
- Lawal KA, Abatan AA, Angélil O, Olaniyan E, Olusoji VH, Oguntunde PG, Lamptey B, Abiodun BJ, Shiogama H, Wehner MF, and Stone D (2016): The Late Onset of the 2015 Wet Season in Nigeria. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, 97(12), S63-S69.
- Abiodun BJ and Adedoyin A (2016): A Modelling Perspective of Future Climate Change, in: T.M. Letcher (Ed.), Climate Change: Observed Impacts on Planet Earth, Elsevier, pp. 355–371. ISBN: 9780444635242
- Ujeneza EL and Abiodun BJ (2015): Drought regimes in Southern Africa and how well GCMs simulate them? Climate Dynamics 44.5-6, 1595-1609
- Meque A and Abiodun BJ (2015): Simulating the link between ENSO and summer drought in Southern Africa using regional climate models. Climate Dynamics, 44(7-8), 1881-1900.
- Mounkaila MS, Abiodun BJ, and Omotosho JB (2015): Assessing the capability of CORDEX models in simulating onset of rainfall in West Africa. Theoretical and Applied Climatology, 119 (1-2), 255-272.
- Matthew OJ, Abiodun BJ, and Salami AT (2015): Modelling the impacts of climate variability on crop yields in Nigeria: performance evaluation of RegCM3‐GLAM system. Meteorological Applications, 22 (2), 198-212.
- Lawal KA, Stone DA, Aina T, Rye C, and Abiodun BJ (2015): Trends in the potential spread of seasonal climate simulations over South Africa. International Journal of Climatology, 35(9), 2193-2209.
- Abiodun BJ, Ojumu AM, Jenner S, and Ojumu TV (2014): Transport of atmospheric NOx and HNO3 over Cape Town. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 14, 559–575
- Nzotungicimpaye C-M, Abiodun BJ, and Steyn DG (2014): Tropospheric ozone and its regional transport over Cape Town. Atmospheric Environment. 87, 228-238.
- Oguntunde PG, Abiodun BJ, Lischeid G, and Merz C (2014): Modelling the impacts of reforestation on the projected hydroclimatology of Niger River Basin, West Africa. Ecohydrology 7(1), 163-176(IF=2.133)
- Abatan AA, Abiodun BJ, Omotosho BJ (2014): On the characteristics of sea breezes over Nigerian coastal region Theoretical and Applied Climatology, 116, 93-102
- Tozuka T, Abiodun BJ, andEngelbrecht, FA (2014): Impacts of convection schemes on simulating tropical-temperate troughs over southern Africa. Climate Dynamics, 42(1-2), 433-451 (IF = 4.602)
- Oguntunde PG., Lischeid G, Abiodun BJ, and Dietrich O (2014): Analysis of spatial and temporal patterns in onset, cessation and length of growing season in Nigeria. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 194, 77-87.
- Abiodun BJ, Lawal, KA, Salami, AT, and Abatan, AA (2013): Potential influences of global warming on future climate and extreme events in Nigeria. Regional Environmental Change, 13(3), 477-491.
- Abiodun BJ, Salami AT, Matthew OJ, and Odedokun S (2013): Potential impacts of afforestation on climate change and extreme events in Nigeria. Climate dynamics, 41(2), 277-293
- Jenner SL and Abiodun BJ (2013): The transport of atmospheric sulfur over Cape Town. Atmospheric Environment, 79, 248-260.
- Oguntunde PG and Abiodun BJ (2013): The impact of climate change on the Niger River Basin hydroclimatology, West Africa. Climate Dynamics 40, 81-94
- Flato G, Marotzke J, Abiodun BJ, Braconnot P et al (2013): Evaluation of climate Models. In: Climate change 2013: the physical science basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the fifth assessment report of the International Panel on climate change. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge United Kingdom and New York, NY, USA
- Abiodun BJ, Adeyewa ZD, Oguntunde PG, Salami AT, and Ajayi VO (2012): Modelling the Impacts of Reforestation on Future Climate in West Africa. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 110, 77 – 96
- Oguntunde PG, Abiodun BJ, and Lischeid (2012): Spatial and temporal temperature trends in Nigeria, 1901-2000 Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics 118, 95-105
- Oguntunde PG, Abiodun BJ, Olukunle OJ and Olufayo AA (2012): Trends and variability in pan evaporation and other climatic variables at Ibadan, 1973-2008 Meteorological Application 19, 464 – 472.
- Oguntunde PG, Abiodun BJ (2012): Analysis of Trend and Periodicity in Long-Term Annual Rainfall Time Series of Nigeria. In: Machiwal, D. and Jha, M.K., Hydrologic Time Series Analysis: Theory and Practice, Springer, Germany and Capital Publishing Company, New Delhi, India, 303p
- Abiodun BJ, Gutowski WJ, Abatan AA, Prusa J (2011): CAM-EULAG: A non-hydrostatic atmospheric climate model with grid stretching. ACTA Geophysica 59, 1159 – 1167.
- Gbobaniyi EO, Abiodun BJ, Tadross MA, Hewitson B.C, and Gutowski WJ (2011): The coupling of cloud base height and surface fluxes: a transferability intercomparison. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 106, 189-210
- Oguntunde PG and Abiodun BJ (2011): Rainfall Trends in Nigeria, 1901-2000 Journal of Hydrology 411, 207–218.
- Fasona M, Tadross M, Abiodun BJ, Omojola A (2011): Local Climate Forcing and Eco-Climatic Complexes in the Wooded Savannah of Western Nigeria Natural Resources 2, 155-166
- Abiodun BJ, Pal J., Afiesimama, E.A., Gutowski W.J. and Adedoyin A. (2010) “Modelling the impacts of deforestation on Monsoon Rainfall in West Africa.” IOP Conf. Series and Environmental Science 13, DOI: 101088/1755-1315/13/1/012008
- Abiodun BJ, Pal J, Afiesimama EA, Gutowski WJ, and Adedoyin A (2008): Simulation of West African monsoon using RegCM3 Part II: Impacts of Deforestation and Desertification Theoretical and Applied Climatology 93, 245-261
- Abiodun BJ, Prusa J, and Gutowski WJ (2008): Implementation of a non-hydrostatic, adaptive-grid dynamic core in CAM3. Part I: Comparison of dynamics cores in Aqua-planet simulations. Climate Dynamics 31, 795 – 810.
- Abiodun BJ, Prusa J, and Gutowski WJ (2008): Implementation of a non-hydrostatic, adaptive-grid dynamic core in CAM3. Part II: Dynamic influences on ITCZ behaviour and Tropical precipitation. Climate Dynamics 31, 811–822
- Oguntunde PG, Abiodun BJ, Ajayi AE, and Giesen NC (2008): Effects of charcoal production on soil physical properties in Ghana. Journal of plant nutrition and soil science-zeitschrift fur pflanzenernahrung und bodenkunde, 171, 591-596.
- Omotosho JB and Abiodun BJ (2007): A numerical study of Moisture build-up and rainfall over West Africa. Meteorolological Application 14, 209-225
- Ajayi AE, Oguntunde PG, Abiodun BJ, and Horta ID (2007): Influence of Spatial variation of soil hydraulic properties on surface runoff processes in West Africa.Journal of Environmental Hydrology, 15, Paper 21.
- Afiesimama EA, Pal J, Abiodun BJ, Gutowski W.J. and Adedoyin A (2006): Simulation of West African monsoon using the Regcm3 Part I: Model Validation and Interannual Variability. Theoretical and Applied Climolotology 86, 23-37.
- Abiodun BJ, Enger L and Mohr M (2003): Modelling Air-Quality in Complex Terrain with Mesoscale and Dispersion models – Part II: Evaluation of a Dispersion Model. Global Journal of Pure and Applied Sciences 9, 397- 402.
- Mohr M, Enger L, and Abiodun BJ (2003) Modelling Air-Quality in Complex Terrain with Mesoscale and Dispersion models – Part I: Evaluation of a Mesoscale Model. Global Journal of Pure and Applied Sciences 9, 375-380.
- Abiodun BJ, Enger L (2002): The role of advection of fluxes in modelling dispersion in convective boundary layers. Quarterly Journal of Royal Meteorological Society 128, 1589-1608
- Abiodun BJ (2002): Sensitivity Comparison of two cloud parameterization schemes. Journal of Applied Sciences 5, 2646-2659