Application for Entry into the Honours Programme
Application Deadline: 31st October each year
You can apply for EGS Honours or Atmospheric Science Honours. This requires that you the applicant, specify your first and second choices on the application form. In order to apply for EGS Honours you are expected to have done your undergraduate degree in Geography or Environmental Science. If you have not, you can do Honours in your discipline and then apply for Masters, where we welcome people with different disciplinary backgrounds.
You need to apply for Honours to the faculty where you did your undergraduate degree. For example, if you did a BA undergraduate degree you must apply for a BA Honours through Humanities faculty and the same if you did BSc undergraduate, apply for BSc Honours through the Science faculty.
To apply applicants must submit:
- A Departmental Application Form
- A UCT application Form - online (please read the relevant information if you are a foreign student)
- Cover letter including a statement of interest, explaining why you are interested in doing the Honours degree (maximum 700 words)
- Students who have completed their degrees elsewhere are required to submit two referees reports on the departmental reference form. If you are an EGS student and have requested EGS staff to be your referee then you only need to list the names on your application and we will contact them internally.
- Students who have completed their degrees within the EGS Department should list the names of two members of staff who will act as referees.
Please note, EGS Honours students will graduate with a Honours degree in Environmental and Geographical Science.
Students in the Atmospheric Science stream will graduate with an Honours degree in Atmospheric Science.
Please use the following email addresses for:
Application process related queries please contact Tanya Basadien, email@example.com.
Honours course related queries, please ask Johanna von Holdt (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Honours Atmospheric Science course related queries please ask Babatunde Abiodun (email@example.com)
Please note, you are required to submit your Departmental application form and supporting documents in one pdf file by email to firstname.lastname@example.org and your UCT application form online. Both need to be submitted to be considered for Honours.